Wednesday, November 12, 2008

General George C Marshall

About 6 months ago I read a book about General Marshall. To be honest, I didn't realize the magnitude of the man and the role that he played in my freedom.

Someone on my team (yet to be identified) and I were talking, and it dawned on me today. We have a General Marshall. My General Marshall is one of the reasons I came to this division, and one of the reasons I'll never leave (unless he creates a new one).

Let me review some of my notes about General Marshall and quotes that he said to illustrate his qualities. I think they also apply to my version.

- A person of integrity. Here's some quotes:
○ Find the necessary moral courage to do the right thing
○ I want to go right straight down the road, to do what is best, and do it frankly and without evasion
○ I can't afford the luxury of sentiment
 
- A person of action. More quotes:
○ Man is made for action
○ Do as I say.  I will accept all responsibility.
○ The choice is between acting with energy or losing by default
○ I am not interested in the explanation…I am interested in the result

- A person of candor:
○ I am disappointed in all of you.  You haven't disagreed with a single thing I have done all week
○ I am not a diplomat.  I mean exactly what I say and there is no use trying to read between the lines because there is nothing to read there

- A person of fairness:
○ I am awfully tired of seeing mediocrity placed in high positions, with brilliance and talent damned by lack of rank to obscurity
○ Deliver me from the lazy thinker…give me someone who can and will think for himself

- A person of vision:
○ Avoid trivia
○ Face up to our vast responsibility
○ Go home and think about it

I have deep respect and loyalty to my General. It's another reason that I love my team.

No comments: